Over the weekend, a few of us here at Big Apple Florist participated in the New York AIDS Walk. It was an amazing experience walking with the 45,000 people who were in attendance. It definitely was an inspiration to us to become more involved.
If you missed the boat, don’t fret! We will try to keep you updated on various projects and organizations you can be a part of, because, like you, we are proud to be New Yorkers and we love that our job is to beautify so many homes, businesses, and events in NYC with flower table arrangements, centerpieces, and plants!
There are so many projects that you can be a part of to help continue to green up NYC. This week the spotlight is on the Million Trees NYC project!
The main idea of the Million Trees NYC project is to plant and care for one million trees across the five boroughs of New York City over the next decade. Million Trees NYC was launched by the Parks Department and New York Restoration Project and is a collaboration of many partners, including:
- Community-based and non-profit groups
- City, state, and federal agencies
- Corporations and small businesses
- Developers, architects, and landscape architects
- Private-property owners, and
- All New Yorkers
Want to help out Million Trees NYC? There are so many things you can do! Here are just a few easy ways to get involved:
- Plant a tree on your property and share your story!
- Participate in volunteer plantings around NYC. The next volunteer planting opportunity is October 22, 2011.
- Request a tree. The Parks Department will plant trees FREE-OF-CHARGE on sidewalks in front of homes, apartment buildings, and businesses in all five boroughs. Click here to make a request.
We will keep you updated on more volunteer opportunities around NYC! If you’d like to fill your own home with greenery in the meantime, we are always happy to create beautiful floral table arrangements and centerpieces for your home, business, or event. For greenery that will live even longer, we offer New York plant delivery of green plants and orchids! Give us a call today.